Sunday, 27 December 2009

Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia

I came across this term “Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia” which means “I Am Of Malaysia Ethnicity”. This short but simple term has gotten me thinking of my country, my home, my identity in the world. It highlights what we should all understand that as a Malaysian, we are and should be identified by Malaysia. We should understand that we should not be looking at each other by…

what our names sound like,
where our forefathers came from,
which mother tongue we speak,
how our skin colour looks like, or
what our religions are.

From the day we were born, fate has brought us to this land. This wonderful land filled with colours, sounds, laughter, customs, religions and food. Malaysia has brought us through wars, economical crisis, racial warfare and even provided us with a unique identity that is different to the entire world.

I proudly call myself a Malaysian, this is because here is where learned how to walk, talk, learn and grew up. So to all my readers, remember that Malaysia did not give up on us, we should not give up on her too. She has kept us safe, she has thought us well, she has kept food on our tables and laughter in our hearts.

I urge you, when someone asks…

Are you Malay?
Are you Chinese?
Are you Indian?

Please Answer:
No, I am Malaysian… I am Malaysian by birth, I am Malaysian by ethnic background, I am Malaysian by soul and I am Malaysian by right.

I am a Malaysian…

No comments: