Friday, 11 September 2009

My Reflections


Its that time again where I reflect on what has happened and what will hopefully happen in my life. I am writing this again on my bed before I go to sleep. I had a break after 4 years of working day and night. It has been a good break and a get away from all that troubles me and for the last 6 days I have been away from it all, just to reflect, recharge and restructure myself. It has been a tough 4 years with many things that has happened, especially for the past one year where God has shaken me again and again in faith and in my walk in all aspect. Loosing people I love and holding my feelings back has truly taken its toll on my life, with work, relationships, ministry, family and faith clinging on to every second of my waking life, it is sometimes hard to even find time to breath.

This break I went back to the place where I felt the most peace throughout my entire life. Perth, Western Australia. I stayed at my best friend Jane’s house. It was a nice cozy house over at Atwell approximately 30mins from the city. She stayed there with a housemate Esther and has 3 dogs, Oscar, Summer and MaChi. I went to many of the places that I use to go on a weekly basis, the markets, church, university, city and even shopping and beach. So many memories came out of this trip, how I wish all these was still the same. So many has changed since the last time I was here 5 years ago. Roads have changes, buildings have been rebuilt, people have moved on and even the feeling was different.

This time when I went back I asked God for a new direction, new and renewed perspective and new batteries for the coming years ahead. I always enjoyed my time when I am in Australia simply because I feel a sense that I am away from everything and it gives me the quietness to rethink and listen. The skies and blue and the breeze are chilly as its early spring. The weather is great, flowers blooming everywhere and the sun is warm. Whenever you look up upon the skies you see a glimpse of heaven and a glimpse of God looking down at you. Maybe it is because Perth is such a slow town where people walk slower, drive slower and even eat slower. It is quite a big difference with KL where everything we see and do is in a fast forwarded motion. No one in Perth is rushing no one seems to be worried and everyone seems to be enjoying life as how God has intended it to be. Of course they too have their troubles and problems. But if you’re going for a visit, they seem to be in a better place.

Well, now its back to reality again, work starts officially today (Friday) and its back to the fast paced life that I have grown to accustom to. I really don’t know if I am ready to face tomorrow yet but with God holding on to my hand, I feel like I could take on the world again. Psalms 40 writes:

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

4 Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods. [a]

5 Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

6 Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but my ears you have pierced [b] , [c] ;
burnt offerings and sin offerings
you did not require.

7 Then I said, "Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll. [d]

8 I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."

9 I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips,
as you know, O LORD.

10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth
from the great assembly.

11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD;
may your love and your truth always protect me.

12 For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.

13 Be pleased, O LORD, to save me;
O LORD, come quickly to help me.

14 May all who seek to take my life
be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
be turned back in disgrace.

15 May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!"
be appalled at their own shame.

16 But may all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation always say,
"The LORD be exalted!"

17 Yet I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
O my God, do not delay.

God, I place my life upon to your hand again. Take me by my hand like a child and guide me in your ways and take me to my path where I may once again walk right in you. May I seek you first in all that I do and may I relay on your strength when my strength alone is too weak. Lord, carry me, Lord, guide me, Lord, help me listen. As the dear patters on the waters of my soul long after you.

To all my readers, God is true and God is here. Whatever life throws at you, through God there is an answer and through God we draw strength to carry on. Relationships, Family, Friends, Studies, Work and Life, nothing is impossible for my God, the maker of heaven and earth and the source of my strength and courage. I may be only a small dust in His eyes but He calls me by my name and knows everthing about me. He reaches down to me when I get into trouble and when I call, He comes rushing down to ask me what happened and takes my burdens from me. I smile not because I am happy, I smile because God is with me.

To all Christians, stand stedfast in God. Stand with God. Stand beside God. Walk with God.

To all my other friends, I pray that you would find God in your own way. He is ever ready for you. Just ask and it will all be given to you.

Psalms 121 is my favorite verse, it writes:
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;

4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

Enjoy life as how God has intended for us to live. Live with purpose, life with joy and live in peace. I pray for a little peace and joy to each and everyone of you. If you are going through testing, test not yourself, test your faith. Because with faith, nothing can stand in our way.

With praying hands and knelled legs,
Timothy Chan
A Prince of God, Friend of Jesus and a Christian.

2 comments:

Lois said...

Thumbs up ! Joe ! You 're truly explain what I 'm in UK too .

I like the word , "simple and peace".3 months time is just gone like this . I got the faithful grow in my heart . And I praise God that , He has these plan for me to be here.

It was time I always thought of what I want/can to do for God . I have failed to listen God's voice in the prosperous city. Only now I know God don't need us plan for all the things , He will lead !


Suddenly I feel the KL city is too "city" - :P

melaniehwa. said...

Joe, great post. It really reminded me of alot of things which I just realised I've taken forgranted of, things which I've forgotten about, the promise and trust which I once used to hold on so strongly which is now being challenged by the ways of the worlds.

and yes, like you said, all those should not and will not be of any problem to me because He is always beside us, looking after us, no matter what. He is there for you and me.