Tuesday, 21 August 2007

Our Character Defines Our Actions…

Maybe it’s just a bad night’s sleep or maybe it’s me. Anyways, was reading Reader’s Digest again last night and I cam across this article about a research done by Reader’s Digest reporters all across the world. From Mexico, to Paris, to Hong Kong and Malaysia, I can’t remember how many countries there were, but basically they covered almost the whole world.

The research basically tries to seek out how honest people are. Middle ranged mobile phones were left on busy areas to see if the people who picked them up would return them. Basically, more than 60% of the world’s population had returned the phones, but there were people who did not.

They documented that many people who returned explained that they had lost their hand phones once before and went through a very tough time retrieving all the information stored and did not want others to go through the same “pain” and frustration. The second group were parents that wanted to “do the right thing” in front of their children.

One particular person caught my eye, he was a homeless man that picked up the phone and returned the phone. In the interview he said “we lose some things and we find some, but you should never lose your honesty and dignity”. Wow! I can’t say that I could have said such a thing. People argued that poverty or need would push someone to go against their morals and dignity. But in this case, I think honour and moral is still “available”. Let us all think what we would do in a situation like this.

I guess the article had a harder impact on me than I thought. I had a dream that woke me up this morning feeling worried and sad. I had a dream that I and my friend went base jumping off a building. When it was my turn to jump, I over shot the targeted landing site and thus I flew into a road and caused an accident. I pretended that it was not my fault and kept waking back and when confronted, I ran! Yes I ran! I ran as fast as I could back to the building. Then I woke up (for work la….!)

Anyways, while brushing my teeth, I recalled the article in Reader’s Digest and it struck me! Would I have run away if I was not “caught”? Would I have the guts to take responsibility of my actions? In a perfect world or in a perfect person, they will no doubt acknowledge that it was their fault. But would I have the guts? I hope for my sake, I will have the guts to stand up and face my mistakes head on with the shield of God by my hand and the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and with the Sward of Honesty by my hand (hehe… made those up… but hey! It my article and my blog).

Ask your self today, who would you be? The poor with honour? Or the rich but fallen? Don’t give textbook answer, only you will know… sometimes it maybe that only God knows…

Be Sure Be Stedfast!
Lieutenant Timothy Chan
BB2SJ

No comments: